Friday, July 2, 2010

Mom and Dad come to France.

So Jeani and Mike came to visit and we had a great time. They were on the move non-stop. It was really nice to have them around and go off and see other parts of France together. I think they enjoyed themselves, too. Here's a Cliff Notes version of the trip.

First stop. Le Puy.

In the cathedral touching the fever stone. They were hoping it would help with jet lag and general aches and pains.


After my practical exam, we drove down to Provence. I had booked a hotel online for our first night in Saignon. It was a tiny village but the area looked pretty and the hotel cute. We ended up in a little apartment, and it was absolutely beautiful. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and I'd stay there again and recommend it to anyone. Here's their website. And here's the view from our balcony. This is the same area and view that inspired many paintings of VanGogh.

It overlooked this cute courtyard.

The restaurant around the corner.


Some local construction.


Village hopping.


This photo sums up their visit pretty well. Dad is up front waiting patiently for mom to catch up. She's busy taking full advantage of her macro lens in the background.



Space invaders visit small towns too.


And we even managed to find some wineries.


The inside of an abby.

Here's the outside.
And another little village. They are seriously all this cute.


Our hotel the second night was recommended by the first. This was a completely different style. It was WAY out of town and kind of lodge like. Set in a valley under a massive rock cliff. Just beautiful. Everyone takes their dinner and breakfast together. It was really peaceful and relaxing. A perfect place to go if you're into hiking and nature.


Florida plates. As my dad quickly pointed out, "that's a hell of a drive."

We got back from Provence and parted ways. Monday morning I went to school and they continued north up to Strasbourg to check out where I'll be living next.


They returned at the end of the week and we picnicked in between class behind the chateau.


And I had one afternoon off so we went out to a near by lake and had a picnic there too. I had a wonderful snooze in the sun.

The entire visit with mom and dad was filled with food. They were on vacation, so all rules were off. I went along with the crowd. And now I think I'm going to need the rest of my time here to get off all the extra pounds I put on from their visit.

Here's my first escargo. I wasn't sure where this fit into my diet. It isn't meat, but it's not exactly fish. But I deemed it acceptable for my pescatarian lifestyle. And I'm glad I did, because they're yummy.



Then off to Lyon at the end of the week. We had dinner with dad Friday night and then dropped him at the airport Saturday morning. He had to get back to work. Mom stayed on for a girls weekend in Lyon and one more day in exciting Yssingeaux. But it was a gorgeous weekend for sightseeing.

The cathedral on the hill, designed by the same architect that did Sacre Coeur in Paris.

A trompe l'oeil. A completely flat building painted with the images of famous/influential former residents of Lyon.


Mom's disgusting (although she said it was really good) lyonaise meat loaf. So. Gross.



No girl's weekend is complete without a trip to the salon for a haircut and manicure.


An afternoon ice cream stop. Mom's documentation of my ice cream documentation.

The beautiful botanical gardens in the north of the city.



Mom walked me to school, and the picture taking continued.

Then she joined the class for the afternoon. Chef said she was a good worker and helped out a lot. But she got in trouble when it came to clean up time. No standing around allowed. But she's on vacation, we cut her a break.

Phew. That's it. And that's the short version. We did so much and I feel so lucky to have had two fun visitors. Now it's back to work and back to my normal diet of healthy eating (while snacking on pastries all day).

Talk soon...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Q: If a snail "isn't meat," and it's "not exactly fish," than what exactly is it?

A: Exactly gross. That's what.

Cindy said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time with your parents! What a blessing that they could come over to spend time and explore with you! I'm sure the blog is nice for them to see your adventures and day-to-day doings, but having them actually there with you I bet was the BEST!
As always, great photos!