Sunday, July 18, 2010

Back to my roots.


Hello. Just checking in from Denmark. We found out late notice that we were having a mid term break. I couldn't bear the thought of staying in Yssingeaux for an extended break. Weekends are long enough. So I scoured the net for possibilities. As luck would have it, I found a reasonable ticket to Denmark so I could visit family.

Jens Peter and Jette have been spoiling me with a wonderful relaxing holiday. I have to say, it's nice to take a break from France. Even though I can't really call myself a Dane, Denmark really does feel like home. And hanging out with a retired couple makes for a an extra mellow break. Very nice.

I'll be here for another couple days and I'll post pictures as soon as I can. I've taken more than a few. I've been laughed at for photographing my food and going into Danish bakeries and photographing those treats too. What!? It's my job now!

I think Jette might be able to help me learn how to make Kransekage. This is a traditional Danish wedding cake. Also used for any big celebration. Christmas, New Years, birthdays, etc. I have to do a presentation next month for school where I teach people a dessert of my family heritage. This is what I'd like to do.


Only problem is, I've never made it before. But how hard could it be after what I've been through? Last week I stabilized dark chocolate, sans thermometer. Kransekage seems like a piece of cake (pun intended). I think the dough is simple enough. It's mainly just getting the size of the rings consistent so you can build it properly. My mother has been kind enough to find me the special pans you need to make the perfect rings (thanks mom!). Anyway. I'll give it a go. I've always seen it decorated with Danish flags. However, as you can see in the photo, this one has Norwegian flags also. I think all of Scandinavia would like to claim this cake. I've always been told it's Danish, but I think my family is a little bias. Anyway, I think I'll do the flags in marzipan. Throw in a little confectionery. Why not? But I think I'll make Danish flags as well as American. That makes sense. Oh here's a random fact. Denmark has the oldest state flag still in use. Don't believe me?

Anyway I'm looking forward to getting whatever advice I can gather while here in Denmark. Then I'll get the recipe down and move on to the hard part: giving a cooking demonstration to an auditorium full of people while being videotaped. Oh yeah, in French! Really it's just the French part that makes me nervous. I can get through any presentation if I know what I'm talking about. But in this presentation, I may not know what I'm saying. That's the part that makes me a little uneasy. But I'll get through it. I think I'll try to distract them with some well designed leave behinds. Nate has been very kind and has volunteered his skills.

Okay. Gotta run. Mikkel and I are off to Arden now. More later....

No comments: