Sunday, August 1, 2010

Huge thank you to JP and Jette!

As I said in my previous post, I was able to go to Denmark for a few days. My gracious hosts, JP and Jette, took excellent care of me. JP (Jens Peter) is a relative on my mom's side. His grandmother and my great-grandfather were siblings. And he was actually named after my grandma's dad, Jens Peter. The Danish and American sides were reconnected back in 1998 after a bit of research by my mother and have been in touch ever since. JP and Jette have taken a few different trips with my parents. And their son Rasmus, who lives in Bangkok, has visited me both in the States and Australia. And I was lucky enough to attend his engagement ceremony to his wife, Pukky in Thailand a few years ago. So we're all family now, like we were never separated. It's great.

Copenhagen airport.
Flying into Aalborg.

The summer house.Walking down to the beach. Mikkel, their youngest son, was able to come home for the weekend. Great to see him too.


Only jelly fish, a few cars and a few naked men on the nude beach. I spared you the naked old men.

Well deserved beers after all of those stairs.

Jette, me and JP.
We went up to Skagen, the most northern city in Denmark. Also where the famous Danish artists, Michael and Anna Anchers were from. So we toured their home and gallery.

My fish cake lunch.

On the beach up to the tip of the country, Mikkel is on top of one of the German bunkers left over from WWII. They are too heavy and expensive to move, so they still line the beaches.

Another one the tide has over taken.
The point where two oceans meet. Not as dramatic as I had imagined it would be, but if you can look through all the tourists you can see the two tides coming from different directions.

Danish pastry.
A Kransekage, which looks like it's been there for a while.

Buying dinner from the fisherman on the beach.

The boat in Lokken, the closest town to the summer house.

Another fisherman. Another dinner.

Super cute Lokken.
I think we ate ice cream every day.

This is an old anchor they pulled up from a ship wreck from like 1020 or something crazy old like that.
This is the coast down the road from the summer house. There was a very old church originally about 2km from the coast. It was built around 1010. However, through the years, the cliff has eroded. They have now moved the church for safe keeping further inland. But the cemetery remains. Well, some of it. When you look over the side of the cliff, you can see the bodies falling into the ocean below. Here's someones leg.






After a few days up north, we went to Arden, where JP and Jette live most of the time. Jette has ridden horses her entire life, and still does every morning.

This is Max, he lives at the barn.


The house in the distance is the farm where they lived before downsizing for retirement.

Aalborg.

This is an old monastery from 1510. Now you can live there if you're retired.

A wall in a bakery in Aalborg. Check out all the pie cutters!



This building was an old power plant, converted into a modern space with theatres, restaurants and shops. I was a few days early for the tall ships races. However some of the ships were early too, so I got a sneak peak.


Okay. That's about it. Again. Thank you so much to JP and Jette, I had a wonderful time and enjoyed hanging out!

Next post... SUGAR!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Loved all the pics and stories of your travels with your distant relatives who really aren't so distant afterall. What a blessing to know them so well!