Sunday, September 12, 2010

Commencement and a little kudos.


We did it. We are the first international French Pastry Arts students to graduate from ENSP. We might be small, but in the end, after five months together in the lab, I do believe we're strong. It's the end of lab work, and the beginning of real work.


The ceremony was also small, but very sweet. All our professors came to to watch us receive our certificates. It was nice. And it wasn't that long ago that I questioned if this time would ever arrive. I'm sure it seems like it has all flown by, but for me, it has felt like a full five months. As I've said before, time moves a bit slower in Yssingeaux. But that's as it should be. It's given me the opportunity to take it all in. And at this point, I feel good about everything. I think coming here, going to school, taking the time to learn a new skill, I think it's what I'm supposed to be doing. No regrets.

Left to right: Thea, Chef Jean-Marc, Chef Jacqueline, Chef Sebastian.
Chef Sebastian kept it together through most of the ceremony. After all the certificates were handed out, he praised us all again. But then it was time to announce the meilleur (best) student, the valedictorian. And the sobbing began.

"The best student started from nothing. Her french was bad and she knew nothing of pastry. I remember she asked 'What is an eclair!?'" he whimpered." "But she work very hard (sob), and that's why she is the meilleur (sniff)."

Again, I was slightly horrified with his blubber of emotion. Then I was absolutely shocked when I realized he was blubbering at ME! I am the valedictorian! Who would have guessed!?

So after adding up all our quizzes and exams and weekly work scores from the whole course as well as the presentation, I had the highest average. Crazy.





So that was Friday. It's now Sunday morning. I'm writing this from my hotel room in Strasbourg. After graduation we drank a few bottles of champagne, cleaned up the lab, and went home to pack. We had to check out of our apartments Saturday morning at 10, and the bus for Lyon left at 11. Needless to say, there was not much sleeping going on. We were all exhausted. Running on sugar, we managed to have a party that night and pack up the last five months. Tam, Flo and I went to the post office first thing in the morning and shipped what we couldn't carry. Again, I am amazed at how much stuff I seem to acquire. I think I could really be a hoarder if left alone long enough.

Anyway, we caught our bus to Lyon and then the girls helped me and my stuff get on the train to Strasbourg. It has been a while since I've put on a heavy backpack, and I did not miss it. I found my seat and passed out. It was one of those beautiful fall days. Sunny, even hot. And the train was a direct smooth ride into Strasbourg. I woke up at every station just long enough to glance at my bags to make sure they were still on board. Then I nodded off again when the train resumed motion.

Arriving in Strasbourg felt great. I was immediately relieved to be in a proper city again. It feels good here.

Now that I'm rested and showered, I need to get out the door and go meet Regis, who is lending me his apartment for the month. It's time to start the second phase of my pastry adventure. And this phase has to speak French. Eeek.

Oh and he doesn't have internet at his apartment (oh mon dieu!), so I'll do my best to check in when I can.

Bonne journée!

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Dear Chef! Congratulations! (I had my timing a little off and was thinking this week was the last week of classes.) But I am thrilled for you that you received such nice recognition for your hard work. So happy you are on to the next adventure, even without internet. I'll be keeping up with you with our mutual contact- have fun~~~