Saturday, August 7, 2010

Don't cry over chocolate mousse.

Mmmmmm. Puffed pastry.


This is called a Gallant. It's two disks of puff pastry, filled with almond creme and in this case, left over chocolate ganche. If you're into flaky buttery goodness, you'd probably like it.


Here's a Raspberry Almond Tarte with fruit on top. Not bad. Not bad at all. But his fruit was a little too tart for me.


My second attempt at Croquembouche. I decided to try to execute the Grandmother's Day theme. This is one of the possible three themes that could be on our final exam. I'm not sure how to decorate for Grandmother's Day. This photo is after two days of absorbing humidity, so it's not in its best form (although at its best it didn't look all that great either). It's supposed to be three individual flames (generations) attached to each other. I liked the thought better than the execution.


We also did another plated dessert. This one starts with a bed of biscuit Jaconde surrounded by a caramel creme.

Then a cylinder of dark chocolate mousse (with a crunchy hazzelnut insert) is placed on top. It's shielded by a wall of dark chocolate.

Then a red roof of chocolate is placed on top.


Followed by a small scoop of caramel ice cream to round it all out.


Yum.


That was chef's. Here's mine.

More sauce for me, thanks.


We did a lot of mousse this week. This three colored mousse gave me some anxiety. (Ha! As I write this I realize how silly that sounds. Anxiety over a chocolate mousse. Laughable, I know, but I was really frustrated.) I learned that order and process is important, especially with mousse. I pretty much did everything wrong that morning. One mistake followed by another. But I guess in the end it looks alright. However, I never tasted it. I gave it to Aurelien and Lynette for their weekend in the country. I'll ask on Monday how it turned out.


Extra mousse goes into these cute little cups.

They're tiny enough that one isn't enough. But three, let me assure you, is way too much.

In addition to cooking, we had personal reviews the other day. Chef told me that I've adapted well to the kitchen. I work well, I manage well, I clean many many dishes. However, when it comes to my own personal work station (the table top space in which I'm supposed to contain myself) he said, "you're a piglet." I can't argue with him. I think I have to wash my hands more than anyone else because it seems that every five minutes they're covered with whatever dough or sauce or mousse we're making at the time. I haven't figured out how everyone stays so neat and clean.

It's okay. I have time to improve. I'll start Monday in our second exam blanc. It'll be another timed 7.5 hour exam. We'll get our assignments in the morning and then have a whirlwind day of baking. I'm excited. I love the competition.

Okay I'm off. Bon weekend!

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Piglet! How dare he??? But congrats on the rest of the review. When you have your own place you can hire me to lick up---er, I mean clean up--- after you! The projects look fabulous.